Worksite Location: Remote East Coast, Alpharetta, GA or Boca Raton, FL when offices are open.
Sr Postgres/MySQL/DevOPS DBA[Contract (3-months to hire)
As a Senior DBA you will be working with other top notch DBAs and Architects in a technologically diverse environment in our best-in-class enterprise data centers and cloud could based environments. You will be contributing towards providing production support for Postgres and MySQL DB Environments while developing DevOPS based tools for DBA Support Infrastructure . Be part of a team where best practices and standards are the norm and all are empowered to achieve success. Be part of a team that continually masters a high degree of collaboration and knowledge sharing and where members are able to excel in their accomplishments and realize their career goals.
• 5 years DBA working experience on Linux and Unix environments
• Extensive industry experience (5+ years) that include serving as a DBA in all facets of DBMS design, implementation, deployment, administration and maintenance, and project coordination
• 5 years or more of experience in database environment life cycle management and support of production and development environments
• 3 years DBA working experience in private/public Cloud environments(OpenStack, Proxmox AWS, Azure)
• Experience supporting Data Warehousing and ETL processing
• Experienced in database and disk system performance tuning
• Self-motivated detail oriented and highly responsible
• Capable of handling multiple assignments and additional responsibilities
Must Have Skills Category 1(Expert Postgres DBA):
• Expert level Postgres DBA knowledge and experience with Postgres 9.x, 10.x, 11.x - Postgres certification preferred
• Extensive Postgres technical experience in the following:
High Availability solutions using multi-master replication, Disaster Recovery solutions using Data Streaming
Backup and recovery using PG dumps and file system level snapshot options
Performance tuning, production operations & support
Must Have Skills Category 2(Expert MySQL OR Cassandra DBA):
• Expert level MySQL or Cassandra knowledge and experience with MySQL 5.x/8 and Cassandra 2.x/3.x - Relevant certification preferred
• Extensive MySQL technical experience in the following:
High Availability solutions using MySQL replication and/or multi node/datacenter Cassandra setups
Backup and recovery using MySQL dumps, Percona tools [i.e., Xtrabackup] and/or Cassandra backup options
Performance tuning, production operations & support
Must Have Skills Category 3(DBA DevOPS):
• Linux Shell programming, SQL.
• 3 years using DevOPS tools. I.E., Terraform, Ansible, Chef, GitLab using one or more programming languages [I.E., Python, Perl, etc] on bare metal and virtual environments [I.E., AWS, OpenStack, Proxmox, Azure]
The incumbent must support the database management system [DBMS] and all related software. Share knowledge with other database administrators on the procedures required to manage, administer, and support all development and production databases specific to his/her environment. Provide technical consultation and support to client base on database and data warehouse design and administration projects. Implement solutions based on best practices and document the configuration and deployment process for use by the DBA team. Demonstrate initiative beyond directly assigned tasks, require minimal supervision, and rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish objectives.
Design and Build Database Environments
Assist in developing estimates and schedules for new projects and/or extensions to existing systems. Work with DB Architect to create database designs that meet the company's business goals. Satisfy the immediate and future requirements from Product Management in the most cost-effective manner. Perform and document the physical database design to comply with DBA standards and provide optimum performance for the application systems. Ensure the effective physical utilization of computing resources by the DBMS in the Development, Test, and Production environments on a day to day basis. Propose and implement best-in-class tools and practices to support project goals and future evolution of the company's databases. Share Knowledge with associates and assist users, peers, and management in the development of new systems or in performing extensive system modifications.
Technical Support for DBMS Environments
Provide technical support and perform database administration for all development and production databases on multiple environments. Provide technical guidance to the development and production support teams on troubleshooting database and database-related issues. Handle general problems on own authority and make sound judgments based on diagnostic information. Plan, coordinate, and perform the installation, maintenance, system changes, and upgrades for the MySQL, and some Oracle DBMS environments. Ensure continual success of database builds and production changes by controlling content and context through operational checks and balances. Work as individual contributor and as team player on day-to-day DBA tasks to add value to the team. Provide on-call Production support and participate in the On-Call roster.
1. Bachelor in Computer Science, Management of Information Systems(MIS) or related discipline or equivalent work experience.
2. At least 5 years database administration/management experience; strong design/architecture, data migration, database performance & tuning, backup & recovery experience with multiple databases in large scale enterprise environments;
3. Advanced knowledge and understanding of data base administration.
4. Advanced knowledge of database analysis, manipulation, mapping cleansing; data structures; exporting data; data processes/flow; database performance tuning/optimizing; scripting; creating databases and using data analysis tools.
5. Related experience within industry (Risk management/analytics, credit bureau, or Insurance) and related data content are preferred.
6. Knowledge and understanding of ETL tools or related technologies.
7. Knowledgeable with network platforms and related network technologies.
8. Strong mentorship/leadership (involving the ability to present and train others in small and large groups) and team collaboration with multiple functional groups.
9. Strong interpersonal, communication/presentation skills (verbal and written) tailoring communication method and approach to the needs of the audience (such management, data staff, vendors, and technical/non-technical staff).
10. Strong organizational skills and the ability to simultaneously and successfully prioritize multiple projects of varying levels of size and complexity and effectively apply project methodology.
11. Advanced and innovative problem solving; research; analysis; critical thinking; risk assessment and decision making skills for complex database administration and related issues.
12. Willingness to be on call and support critical database issues that arise in the evening or on weekends.