The Application Developer position will focus on the development and on-going support of applications, data/system integrations and other business process automations. Our bias is to buy off the shelf software (80%) and integrate it into our enterprise. In specific or unique cases, we do develop custom software (20%). The development focus of this position will likely breakdown as follows – 50% data/system integrations, 30% process automation, and 20% custom software development. System and data integrations are the bulk of our focus.
The Application Developer is primarily responsible for writing software code either in development of new systems, or evolving existing systems. Typically, development is within custom software solutions and/or integrations with packaged products or custom solutions. Software development includes desktop technology, web technology, messaging, and other languages or technologies utilized by the application suite. The role may also be involved in software design, unit testing and lifecycle support of systems. This position partners with other areas within the Technology Organization for standards, consulting and other areas of expertise needed for the solution.
Job Experience & Education
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Engineering, Math, Business or another relevant academic discipline.
- Four or more years of professional IT experience.
- Two or more years of software development experience.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, competitive information technology organization.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience programing with the following software development technologies:
- Microsoft C# and the .NET framework, including .Net Core, Entity Framework & MVC.
- Deep experience working with either Microsoft SQL Server or Oracle.
- Understanding of service-oriented architecture, web service security and data integration provisioning.
- Working knowledge of Angular 6.x and greater, TypeScript, CSS and Node.js.
- Working knowledge of Python 3.8, and related modules – Pandas, PI, ODBC, etc.
- Ability to conduct research into emerging technologies and trends, standards, and products as required.
- Partner with business and technology subject matter experts to translate business requirements into software solutions.
- The ability to “think big” and challenge conventional wisdom regarding technology, software, data, information & analytics.
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills with the ability to tailor communication as appropriate for the audience.
- Capable of building productive relationships with teammates and business partners focused on collaboration and timely solutions for customers.
- Excellent organization and time management skills, and capable of managing time and priorities to effectively respond to emerging needs and meet upcoming deadlines and commitments.
- Able to work in a professional environment with limited direct supervision.
- Understanding of application development practices and enterprise design.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills, solving problems and providing solutions for business partners that are self service oriented including educating users on benefits, influencing and ensuring adoption.
- Capable of identifying and implementing technical and business orientated process improvements.
- Familiar with modern software development, source control and change management methodologies.
- The ability to understand and practice appropriate data & software development standards to meet business requirements and to ensure that a consistent framework is applied across the company.
- Strong customer service skills with the capability to manage expectations, fulfill commitments and meet project deadlines
- Takes personal ownership of career development, maintaining relevant technical expertise.
- Opportunistic Drive - Committed to delivering technology solutions that help Southern Power achieve their business imperatives and driven to identify opportunities to do so within the solutions, information and data we’re stewards of.
- Positive Can-Do Attitude – Must be willing to take full responsibility for duties and work effectively under the pressure of deadlines and shifting priorities.
- Self-Starter – Able to work in a professional environment with limited direct supervision.
- Results-Oriented – Acts with speed and decisiveness; takes initiative does what it takes to meet commitments.
- Safety Focused – Accepts responsibility for the safety of yourself and co-workers.
- Commitment to continuous learning and improvement – Stays abreast of new technologies and techniques in the market; Looks for opportunities improve through strategy and innovation.