Accounting Manager - Contract Only - 4+ month
The principal purpose of the Accounting Manager is to research and implement new accounting pronouncements and ensure that current accounting practices are in compliance with U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), as well as preparation of the Consolidated Statement of Cash Flows and various Executive Management analysis reporting packages. This person is responsible for researching complex, technical accounting issues affecting our client as they arise and are brought to the attention of the accounting function, and documenting our client's position on such issues. Additionally, the role is responsible for documenting and periodically updating existing documented accounting policies around the accounting areas most significant to our client, as warranted by changes in accounting rules or in our client's business. This role is also responsible for keeping current with developments in U.S. GAAP and Securities Exchange Commission (SEC) reporting requirements and presenting relevant accounting research to senior management and is responsible for ensuring the effective communication and roll-out of any implementation plans. Additionally, the Accounting Manager ensures SEC compliance through participation in the preparation and review of our client's 10-K and 10-Q filings and the related XBRL information. This person will be responsible for the preparation of the external Consolidated Statement of Cash Flows, ensuring appropriate consolidation of the subsidiaries of the Company by communicating with the various subsidiary accounting leads to gain an understanding of their transactions and appropriate presentation at a consolidated . This person will also assist in the preparation of monthly consolidated analysis of financial results to present to Executive Management, the Board of Directors, and the Audit Committee.
- Perform the initial assessment of new accounting pronouncements to identify impacted transactions, processes or disclosures.
- Partner with impacted groups to identify and implement new or modified processes and develop the practical application of new guidance requiring subjective evaluations or conventions due to the volume of transactions or system limitations.
- Develop and support recommendations to senior management regarding policy elections available under the new pronouncement.
- Prepare written policies documenting the analysis and conclusions reached for accounting judgments made throughout the process of implementation.
- Provide guidance to various groups, primarily within Finance, on the proper accounting for new business transactions - this requires the individual to evaluate the new business transactions and identify applicable accounting guidance.
- Gain an understanding of how the transaction will flow through existing systems and what adjustments are necessary in order to properly account for the transaction, as applicable.
- Partner with the impacted groups to identify and implement new or modified processes, and develop the practical application of guidance requiring subjective evaluations or conventions due to the volume of transactions or system limitations.
- Prepare written policies documenting the analysis and conclusions reached for accounting made throughout the process of implementation, as applicable based on the complexity and size of the transaction.
- Review accounting policies documented by other accounting groups to ensure the accuracy and logic of their conclusions.
- Coordinate the completion of the annual GAAP checklist with the managers responsible for the respective accounting topics and identifies areas requiring further scrutiny to ensure compliance.
- Serve as a general subject matter expert when questions arise regarding the proper accounting treatment for various transactions.
- Pursues professional growth and provides developmental opportunities for others by soliciting and acting on performance feedback; building collaborative, cross-functional relationships; hiring, training, and developing talent for growth opportunities; delegating tasks and decisions; fostering open dialogue amongst team members; working closely with employees to set goals and provide open feedback and coaching to drive performance improvement Manages designated work stream to meet customer and business needs by translating business plans into tactical action items; communicating goals and objectives; overseeing work assignments; aligning team efforts; building accountability for and measuring progress in achieving results; identifying and addressing improvement opportunities; assuming responsibility for decision making.
- Monitoring activity of accounting standard-setters to proactively plan for and identify new accounting pronouncements that could potentially impact our client. This includes drafting responses from our client to be submitted to RILA (Retail Industry Leaders’ Association) or directly to the standard setters as part of the comment process associated with new standards.
- Reviewing and evaluating financial disclosures made by other retailers in their quarterly and annual SEC filings to identify best practices and opportunities for improvement.
- Assisting in drafting responses to SEC comment letters on prior filings.
- Providing individuals across the accounting organization timely updates and summaries of new technical accounting guidance relevant to our client through written communications as well as quarterly presentations to key finance leaders.
- Preparing the Consolidated Statements of Cash Flow, ensuring completeness and accuracy, as well
Bachelor's Degree required in Accounting and or related field 10 years of related experience.
Datum Software is an equal opportunity employer, and does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices based on race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.