Sr Network Engineer
Boca Raton FL
***W2 candidates only as this will go contract to hire!***
BASIC FUNCTIONS: This position assists in the planning, designing, implementation, maintenance, and/or first-level support (major, complex issues) of the network environment. The position also involves analyzing, troubleshooting, and resolving complex network issues.
Top 4 Skills Required:
1. Cisco Nexus platform experience
2. Checkpoint firewall experience
3. Cisco ASA
4. At least a CCNA, CCNP would be preferred
• 5+ years of network engineering experience
• BS Engineering/Computer Science or equivalent experience required
• Knowledge of network parameters.
• In-depth knowledge of software installation aids.
• Strong written skills — technical documentation.
• Strong knowledge of network components (WAN and LAN).
• Strong problem-solving skills in multiple operating environments.
• Troubleshooting network environments.
• Strong understanding of network security.
• Ability to work well with other groups to plan, design, and implement work.
• Ability to mentor more junior network engineers.
• Good oral and written communications skills.
• Provide network problem analysis, identification, and resolution of moderate to complex issues.
• Provide network knowledge to network architecture and/or management team to help make decisions concerning the network environment.
• Facilitate the establishment and implementation of standards and guidelines that guide the design of technology solutions across the enterprise.
• Work with network services team and vendors to ensure timely problem resolution.
• Create documentation as it relates to network configuration, network mapping, processes, and/or service records.
• Write commands or processes for execution under multiple network environments.
• Demonstrate thorough understanding of all network components and of program products assigned to support.
• Demonstrate knowledge of network parameters to control, configure, and install various systems.
• Demonstrate knowledge of all facets of the online system.
• Design, implement, and change the network environment.
• Monitor and recommend changes and additions in data circuits and bandwidth.
• Work with the Security Engineers to plan and implement network security including building/maintaining firewalls, applying encryption, managing host security, file permissions, and other related items.
• Establish and maintain adequate backup and recovery for all network devices.
• Independently troubleshoot server and networking problems to correct malfunctions and other operational difficulties.
• Develop and maintain a production network/server capacity plan so that capacity can be forecasted and equipment changes planned.
• Develop and maintain adequate technical documentation on software configurations, installation instructions, network diagrams, backup/recovery, standards, and other related information.
• Conduct performance monitoring and tuning on the network.
• Develop job control procedures or work flow diagrams for commonly used processes.
• Learn solutions and indicators regarding security in network environment.
• Complete assigned tasks in the Wide Area Network and the Local Area Network.
• Install or troubleshoot programs within network environments.
• All other duties as assigned.
Can you tell me a little bit about the project that this contractor will be working on and what is creating the need for this positon?
• General ticketing support, firewall pushes, some involvement in data migration
• Other special projects may come up as well
• They are heavily ingrained in Cisco switching and routing
Can you walk me through what a typical day might look like?
• You have a long term project you are dedicated to
• Also short team project requiring them to change gears
• Some help may be needed on other projects, i.e. outages, etc.
• No remote work allowed
Does your team work standard core hours or does that vary?
• Core business hours
• They have maintenance windows throughout the year, once per month they may need to support these
o Midnight Saturday to Sunday morning
o Firewall changes are brief, could be an hour on Tuesday or Thursday nights
• Phone interview with the manager (who is based in Alpharetta GA)
• May go straight to in-person interview with the manager (he can travel down to Boca Raton, FL) and some other team members